Portion Control for Healthy Weight Loss in Crystal Springs, MS
The challenge of taking in fewer calories leaves many men and women wondering just how much they should be eating—and most people are taking in too much. This makes portion control a crucial part of any healthy eating or plan to combat weight gain .
Portion Size Guide
Here's a quick guide to help you estimate portion sizes:
- 1 cup = baseball
- ½ cup = light bulb
- 1 tablespoon = poker chip
- 1 ounce = golf ball
- 3 ounces of meat = deck of cards
- 3 ounces of fish = checkbook
- 1 ½ ounces of cheese = 3 stacked dice
- 1 slice of bread = cassette tape
As a guideline, try to use smaller amounts of higher calorie foods and larger portions of lower calorie foods.
Portion Control Tips
Here are a few portion control suggestions that experts recommend:
- Use a portion control plate for meals. You'll pile on less food and trick your brain into believing you've eaten more.
- Use portion control containers. Pre-measure 1-cup portions of snacks like cold cereal, chips, pretzels or crackers and don't eat straight from the bag.
- Eat slowly. Chew each bite several times and give your body time to recognize that it's full.
- When you eat out, order an appetizer for your main dish or split a main dish with someone else.
- Follow a portion plate plan and fill half of a 9-inch dinner plate with fruits and vegetables and balance the other half with proper portions of meat and whole grains.
- Avoid drinking your calories. You'll still feel hungry. Choose an orange instead of orange juice and stay away from sodas. Water is best.
- Remember that foods labeled organic or trans-fat free are not calorie free.
- Consider an app for your phone or tablet that will help you track your food intake, calories, activity level and more.
A healthy diet shouldn't mean you feel deprived. Practicing proper portion control provides nutrition and food in balanced amounts. Request more information today: call (769) 241-3447 or contact Jackie Williams online.
Innovative Health LLC
Address111 Fountains Blvd
Madison, MS 39110
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm