Weight Loss Surgery in Brookhaven, MS
Weight loss surgery, sometimes called bariatric surgery, helps people who are very overweight or obese lose weight. Men who carry 100 pounds or more of extra weight and 80 pounds or more for women may be candidates. It may be an option for you if you haven't been able to lose weight with diet and exercise, or if you have a serious health problem caused by your weight.
There are many types of weight loss surgery, but they all focus on changing the way your body absorbs nutrients or limiting the amount of food your body can take in.
To learn more about weight loss surgery: call (769) 241-3447 or contact Innovative Health LLC online.
What is Weight Loss Surgery?
Just because you are obese, does not mean that weight loss surgery is the best option. Most providers will require that you undergo counseling and try a variety of other weight loss options before surgery is discussed. Other criteria that you should meet include:
- Being 100 pounds or more overweight
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more
- You have a BMI of 35 or more and have negative health consequences like high cholesterol , diabetes , sleep apnea or high blood pressure that is directly related to your weight
- You are unable to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight even with your health provider's supervision
Weight loss surgery requires a commitment to lifestyle changes, new and improved eating habits and commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
Types of Weight Loss Surgery
The two primary types of gastric bypass surgery work by either restricting the size of the stomach so fewer calories can be taken in or shortening a section of the small intestine so calories cannot be absorbed.
The four most common weight loss procedures are:
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: A small pouch is created at the top of the stomach. This is the only area that will absorb food and greatly reduces the number of calories that can be consumed.
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: A gastric balloon is placed around the upper stomach and a port is located on the abdomen. The patient or provider can add or remove fluid from the balloon to enlarge or restrict the amount of food the stomach can hold.
- Sleeve gastrectomy: Part of the stomach is removed and the remaining section forms a tube that is reattached to the intestines.
- Duodenal switch with biliopancreatic diversion: A more complicated procedure, the largest section of the stomach is removed and surgeons reconnect specific portions of the small intestine so that absorption of nutrients and food is very restricted. This, in conjunction with a smaller stomach, results in weight loss.
The type of weight loss surgery you have will depend on many factors. Your provider will discuss the best option for you.
Call (769) 241-3447 or contact Innovative Health LLC online for more information about weight loss surgery.
Innovative Health LLC
Address111 Fountains Blvd
Madison, MS 39110
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm